Sunday, January 14, 2007

You've Come a Long Way, Baby



To The Boy on his 2nd Birthday:


We had a rocky start, you and I. With jaundice, low milk supply, poor latch, it seemed like the Powers That Be didn't want us to breastfeed, but we persevered. I thought my heart would break when you had double hernia surgery at 2.5 months. I pretty much had to pretend that it wasn't happening. I went through the hours of separation, and the disturbing post-op in a dream-like state. We got through the "witching hours" at 4 months, when you would scream non-stop from 5pm to 8pm like clockwork. At 6 months, things noticeably changed. We got our first real taste of The Boy Who Would Be. Or, maybe your parents just chilled out for a change. Whatever happened, we both had a lot to learn. Any knowledge worth having is worth working for, right?


Today, you're officially not a "baby" anymore (although we reserve the right to use this term of affection whenever we choose). Today you have suddenly grown into our Little Man, with thoughts and opinions of your own. You like pasta, Goldfish crackers and muffins, and despite all our gender-unspecific conditioning, you play with trucks, trains, boats and adore the Mighty Machines and the "subbie" (subway).


The moments of greatest joy are fleeting, but so achingly sweet, that we replay them over and over again. You brought your new Little People toy to daddy to open, and when he said it would take a while to open (because they package them so confoundingly it takes people far smarter than us to open them), you sat down on the floor and said "I wait". You are prone to taking flying leaps at mummy, shouting "Mummy tak!" (Mummy attack). You always share your food, even when we're not hungry, and insist that we eat. Often, when you awaken with a stinky diaper, we are greeted with bleats of "P-U!". You are very specific about where people should sit when they play with you, and when people (i.e. Mummy) should stop singing.


Best of all, though, is the little hand that rests on my leg when I read you a story, or the little head that rests on my shoulder as I carry you to bed. These are the moments when I stop being a proud parent, and I'm just Mummy.


Happy Birthday, bubbie! I love you much more than this letter can say.



14 comments:

Bea said...

Oh my goodness, the gorgeousness of that profile shot is just heart-stopping. We need more photos of the Boy!

Beck said...

Happy birthday to your beautiful boy! Two feels like such an important age, doesn't it? Suddenly you have a CHILD living in your house!

kittenpie said...

Some of those things sound so very familiar... and the love comes through in that, even if it's not quite the words that do it. Happy birthday to your sweetie!

Kyla said...

Happy birthday!!

Today, KayTar wants to ley on my chest and watch TV with me, and she reached over and cupped my elbow with her tiny hand and it was one of those oh-so-sweet moment.

I'm dreading the second birthday a bit...then we will have 2 children and no babies in our home! *sigh*

Sandra said...

Oh those photos are stunning. And so are your words about the boy. Happy happy birthday to that sweet little man!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said! Oh, and PB had the same double hernia surgery at 8 weeks. TORTURE, wasn't it? For us, I mean. *wink*

karengreeners said...

what a gorgeous tribute, and gorgeous photos. you made me cry. happy birthday to your little man, and happy BIRTHday to you.

Mad said...

Oh, such a handsome little man. Happy belated birthday.

I LOVE the "Mummy 'tak." The Boy's heart of light comes through in your writing.

NoodleMonkey said...

De-lurking to say that The Boy is beautiful and how much I appreciated your comment that "The moments of greatest joy are fleeting, but so achingly sweet, that we replay them over and over again."
Exactly.

ewe are here said...

He's just lovely!
Hope you had a great time celebrating his birthday!

Her Bad Mother said...

So beautiful. Happy birthday (and birth-day, to you)!

Mimi said...

awwwww ... beautiful. It really is amazing the change at about six months, eh? We're just going through that now, and it's like a whole new person in the house. A nice person.

What a lot of heartbreak you've gone through: I'm so glad to see you've got such a cute and perfect little kid now!

ms blue said...

I smiled the whole way through this! Two years old! It's a wonderful age.

Hooray for your gorgeous, smart and sweet Boy.

Suzanne said...

SO late in my birthday wishes, but here goes anyway:

Happy Birthday! What sweet photos.