Thursday, January 03, 2008

Memories of 2007

Sounds like a President's Choice marinade, no? Although I'm 3 days late (No, I'm not pregnant. Ew! Way too soon for that..) to usher in the new year, I thought the passing of the old into new should be marked somehow. Many bloggers are posting their first sentences from each month of the last year, or linking to their best post or just giving a summary of what went on in 2007. Well, I don't want to bore you (any more than I already do), so that's out for me. Instead, I thought I would post a few samplings of the Boy's loquaciousness.

The Boy, when not given over to tantrums as is the norm these days, can be most charming and funny. Here are a few of my faves...

1. On seeing a Santa decoration on a porch or in a window...

Boy: "A Santa, Mummy! A Santa! Look, mama, a Santa!"

Nomo: Oh, hi Santa!

Boy: (with disdain) "Nooo, he can't talk, he's a decoration."

Apparently, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.


2. Just ask him what the Cracker Man (read: the Nutcracker) says...

"I broke my peanut!!"

Let me just say that it took us a long time to figure out he was saying peanut. We thought it was something entirely differently...and rather painful.


3. Heard at least once every morning, afternoon and evening...

"Can I paint now? I want to paint!! Can I draw now, please??"

He knows the way to my heart, that one.


4. When asked what his favourite show is..

"Sweeney Todd"

This pleased his father overmuch.


5. When put in the stroller over the holidays...

"Which coffee store we going to? Second Cup? Starbucks?? What are you going to have at the coffee store? Where's the coffee store? I can't see it, mummy."

Maybe we go for coffee too much.


6. When talking to anyone on the phone:

"Wanna come to my house?"



7. My favourite bedtime ritual...

Boy: This is our secret cave. No one can come in.

Nomo: Goodnight, Boy. I love you. I'll see you in the morning.

Boy: No, I'll see you in the morning!

Nomo: No, I'll see you in the morning!

Boy: No, I'll see you in the morning!!

This can go on forever..


8. To his father - without prompting...

"You are my best friend in the whole world."

Well, now we're sunk. How can we deny him anything??

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute! Aren't they just awesome? The things that come out of their mouths!!

Happy new year!

b*babbler said...

Yup, they do know the path to our hearts. You have a cutie on your hands there...

Just yesterday Peanut started walking around me (holding on) puckering up over and over for a kiss, and then giggling like mad when I gave her one. Then she'd dart away, and then pucker up and go "mmm" for another one. Wash, rinse repeat for a good five minutes. Now how could I deny her anything after *that*?

ewe are here said...

Ramekin is always asking if we can go for tea... so I suspect we do that a bit too much as well.
;-)

But it is lovely/amusing what can come out of their mouths, no?

Happy New Year!

Mad said...

I'd be just a tad concerned about that Sweeney Todd reference. If you notice him looking longingly at the frozen pie crusts at the grocery store, seek help. Fast!

Anonymous said...

Oh he is too cute for words. Happy Happy New Year to you!!!!

Anonymous said...

That was one of the best New Years posts I've read!

Gabriella said...

Despite the crazy tantrums this age is great for the things they come up!

the dragonfly said...

I read the "Cracker Man" comment and laughed out loud rather hysterically. The Sergeant heard and asked what was so funny; I read it to him, and he laughed even harder than I did. :)

karengreeners said...

this is incredibly cute, and yes, the 'you're my best friend in the whole world' could melt the grinchiest of hearts, but i'm distracted - when you say 'it's way too soon for that,' do you mean being pregnant again?! are you even contemplating another one?! you so crazy. please tell me you were talking about sex, which is second only to having another child in the, ew, way too soon department.

NotSoSage said...

oh dear...you're sunk. that is the sweetest bedtime ritual ever.

painted maypole said...

so sweet!

happy new year!

moplans said...

So cute. But Kgirls dirrrrty comment has now made me forget what I was going to say.
Oh right. It appears, based on all the kids I know this age, that we are entering the age of obsessive questioning.
I cannot answer all of these questions coming at me at that kind of speed before I have had the coffee. You are a trooper.

Don Mills Diva said...

You are my best friend?! Your hubby must have melted - I did just reading it!

kittenpie said...

Mine identifies Tim's and Second Cup as hot chocolate stores becuase that's what SHE gets there. And, you know, it's all about her.

and the requests to paint and draw I love when we can do it, but they make me cringe when they come on a morning we have to leave quickly, because I'd so LOVE to indulge, but I have to put it off all too often. Of course, they also come too often at bedtime, in the form of, "Tomorrow morning, can we?" I'm always saying, "If you remember to ask me" because I will forget by morning. sigh. Curse my swiss cheese-y brain.